A Media Artist's Response To Failing Diplomacy

When BriAnna Olson's pacifist views were confronted by an adamant American couple, she decided to heed their challenge and head to Tehran-- the epicenter of the Axis of Evil nation.

Amongst a landscape of failed diplomacy and media smear campaigns, she and fellow artist Michael Pope found a society far more alive and hospitable than they'd ever been led to believe.

Like jesters of a modern-day Magellan, they've returned with stories and insights to a culture few American's have seen first hand.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tehran: Day 1

After landing this morning and being met by Mohsen (kinda rhymes with Olson) we were taken to our Hotel. (Worth mentioning again, traffic is insane) After some debate, we decided to go straight into the heart of beast-- the Tehran Bazaar. When I have a bit more time, I'll give you the details, for now I leave you with: fingerprints, customs, traffic, prayer rooms, US Den of Espionage, Michael Pope being interviewed for the local news, fist fights, PressTV, Barack Obama, gold, shiny, shiny, SHINY.
 
P.S. People here are happy we are Americans... they like Americans.
 
P.P.S. After a day of a straight up black hejab, I've made a move toward a rainbow shiny one. The black one is making me look like a pious Muslim and causing more attention (me hanging with two men who don't look Iranian...), plus the shiny one leaves a few sparkles in my wake.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like the carpeting at my work. You will see when you come!

    ReplyDelete